CPL T20 Bonus Bet - Get up to ₹2,000 back every single day25 Aug 2021 Read more
India vs England Fourth T20I Preview: Hosts look to stay alive
- India host England in Ahmedabad at the Narendra Modi Stadium for the fourth T20I on Thursday in the five match series
- England have a 2-1 lead in the series after winning the first and third T20Is
- The chasing side has won 13 of India's last 16 completed T20Is played at home
- Jos Buttler has scored at least 40 in 5 of his last 9 T20Is
- Indian spinners dismissed Jason Roy in all three T20Is this series
- England have scored more in the powerplay in 5 of their last 7 matches against India
Can the Indian bowlers stop the English batsmen? (Getty Images)
England continued the theme of chasing team emerging winners, as their eight-wicket win in the third T20I gave them a 2-1 lead. India will be smarting from the loss and the toss, although their own performances let them down. With the series on the line, expect them to improve and put in a good shift when the teams meet again in the fourth T20I on Thursday.
India stuttered in the power play overs once again to be reduced to 24/3. Captain Virat Kohli’s masterful 77* (46 balls) helped them post 156/6, but it didn’t prove enough in the end.
The Indian bowlers had no answer to the English onslaught led by Jos Buttler and struggled to keep the run-rate under check. Yuzvendra Chahal (1/41) had another poor outing, while Washington Sundar (1/26) was the only bowler to show a semblance of control.
KL Rahul’s poor form is a big worry, with the opener scoring just one run in three matches so far. However, Kohli has given him a vote of confidence, leaving Shreyas Iyer as the possible change for Suryakumar Yadav. Shardul Thakur could give way to Navdeep Saini, while Chahal also remains under the scanner.
Jos Buttler (83* off 52 balls) smashed the Indian bowlers to content and led the English chase along with Jonny Bairstow (40*) to score 158/2 with eight balls remaining. The result was never in doubt even after Jason Roy posted his first poor score of the series.
The win, though, was set up by the pace bowlers Mark Wood (3/31) and Chris Jordan (2/35), who kept the Indian batsmen under check. The home team had no answers to the express pace which resulted in a poor powerplay.
There’s no reason England should change their team unless they feel Moeen Ali’s spin is suited better to the conditions than Sam Curran’s cutters.
India vs England Head-to-Head
England have edged past India 9-8 in T20Is with the score 5-4 in their favour in matches played in India. However, it is still India who have won five of the last eight matches between these sides.
India vs England Match Up
England’s pace bowlers have certainly given them an edge, while India continue to scramble for spin options. Chahal and Rahul continue to be laggards and India will be well-served if they can replace one of the two. The dice is still heavily loaded in favour of the chasing side, but England have shown the versatile skills to adjust better than the hosts.
India vs England Stats
- The chasing side has won 13 of India’s last 16 completed home T20Is and the last 6 matches between India and England.
- India have conceded more runs in the powerplay in 5 of their last 7 matches against England.
- England have scored more 6s than India in 10 of their last 14 T20Is.
- Jos Buttler has scored at least 40 in 5 of his last 9 T20Is, including 4 scores of 50 and above.
- The team batting second has won England’s last 8 T20Is.
Jos Buttler’s return to form is a massive boost for England, who must now be looking at ways to getting Eoin Morgan and Ben Stokes back amongst the runs. India are struggling to force the pace in the initial overs and England look favourites to steal the powerplay honours once again. Buttler and Kohli have shown in the past a desire to build on their form and can be backed to lead the respective scoring charts in this match.
20 October 2021
Latest cricket news
In-Play BetEngland vs India Test Series - Get a ₹500 Free Bet for live betting25 Aug 2021 Read more
CPL T20Caribbean Premier League 2021 Squads & CPL T20 Team Lists25 Aug 2021 Read more
CPL T20 StreamCaribbean Premier League Live Stream & CPL T20 Telecast in India25 Aug 2021 Read more
CPL T20Caribbean Premier League 2021 Schedule & CPL T20 Dates, Times and Venues25 Aug 2021 Read more