- Sunday 9
- Monday 10
- Tuesday 11
- Wednesday 12
- Thursday 13
- Friday 14
- Saturday 15
- Sunday 16
- Monday 17
- Tuesday 18
- Wednesday 19
Kolkata Knight Riders vs Mumbai Indians Preview: Most lop-sided encounter of IPL history
- Kolkata Knight Riders will take on Mumbai Indians in match #5 of IPL 2021 on Tuesday
- This match will be played at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai
- Mumbai Indians have won 11 of their last 12 matches against Kolkata Knight Riders
- Kolkata Knight Riders have scored the highest powerplay score in 3 of their last 4 matches against Mumbai Indians
- Nitish Rana top-scored for Kolkata Knight Riders in 3 of their last 5 matches
Can the Knight Riders fight against history and old nemesis Mumbai Indians? (GettyImages)
Contrasting starts to the Indian Premier League 2021 (IPL) campaign later, Kolkata Knight Riders will take on old nemesis Mumbai Indians in their second match of the competition. This match #5 of the tournament will be played at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai on Tuesday.
Kolkata started their campaign with a facile 10-run win over Sunrisers Hyderabad on Sunday. Mumbai started their season with a two-wicket loss to Royal Challengers Bangalore in a tight encounter on Friday, the season opener.
Kolkata Knight Riders Form
The Knight Riders started with a flourish making 187/6 batting first. It was opener Nitish Rana’s aggressive 80 off 56 that set the tone, while Rahul Tripathi continued the trend with an equally effective 53 off 29 balls.
Captain Eoin Morgan rotated his bowlers well and restricted the Sunrisers to 177/5. Prasidh Krishna picked up 2/35, while Shakib Al Hasan, Pat Cummins, and Andre Russell took one wicket each.
Kolkata Knight Riders News
With little time between games, Morgan will look for continuity with the playing XI. The only change could be Harbhajan Singh, who may give way to Kuldeep Yadav.
Mumbai Indians Form
Mumbai started their season with a customary first game loss – a narrow two-wicket defeat. Batting first, Mumbai rode on Chris Lynn’s 49 off 35 to post 159/9, although none of the other batsmen could score more than 28.
Jasprit Bumrah (2/26) and the impressive debutant Marco Jansen (2/28) took the game deeper for Mumbai, but in the end their score of 159 proved to be at least 15 runs short.
Mumbai Indians News
Quinton de Kock should be back available for selection but Rohit Sharma will face a selection dilemma as Lynn top-scored in the first match.
Kolkata Knight Riders vs Mumbai Indians Head-to-Head
This is one fixture that the Mumbai Indians have completely dominated with a 12-6 overall win-loss record against the Kolkata Knight Riders.
Last season saw the Mumbai Indians win both the matches. The first match saw Mumbai ride on Rohit Sharma’s 80 to defeat KKR by 49 runs. In the reverse encounter, Quinton de Kock smashed 78* to lead Mumbai to an eight-wicket win.
Kolkata Knight Riders vs Mumbai Indians Match Up
On the basis of their first match showing, KKR will be happy to have found a perfect combination for this pitch. Shakib’s presence gives them additional option with both bat and ball. As for Mumbai, they will be sweating over the choice of Lynn vs de Kock. It could once again turn out to be a battle of big hitters, as Mumbai look to get their campaign started with a win here.
Kolkata Knight Riders vs Mumbai Indians Stats
- The team scoring the highest power play runs has won the last 14 IPL matches up to the 3rd match in this season.
- Kolkata Knight Riders scored the highest in the power play in 3 of their last 4 matches against Mumbai Indians.
- Nitish Rana top-scored for the Kolkata Knight Riders in 3 of his last 5 matches.
- Mumbai Indians have won both their matches in Chennai when they batted first.
- Mumbai Indians have won 11 of their last 12 matches against Kolkata Knight Riders.
All eyes will be on Mumbai and how they bounce back from the opening game loss to Bangalore. Kolkata, on the other hand, were assertive in their opening fixture win and will fancy their chances against old nemesis. This is a fixture that has traditionally favoured Mumbai, so don’t be surprised if the double-defending Champions come out all guns blazing. As for individual picks, look at backing the in-form Nitish Rana to top the charts for KKR. If Quinton plays, Mumbai will also fancy posting the highest opening partnership.