- Friday 16
- Saturday 17
- Sunday 18
- Monday 19
- Tuesday 20
- Wednesday 21
- Thursday 22
- Friday 23
- Saturday 24
- Sunday 25
- Monday 26
Mumbai Indians vs Royal Challengers Bangalore Preview: Clash of big guns
- Mumbai Indians and Royal Challengers Bangalore play the first match of IPL 2021 on Friday
- This match will be played at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai
- Mumbai Indians have won 8 of their last 10 matches against Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Mumbai Indians have lost their last 8 first matches of an IPL season
- Mumbai Indians have hit more sixes than Royal Challengers Bangalore in 7 of the last 12 matches between the sides
- Royal Challengers Bangalore have won 7 of their last 10 first matches of an IPL season
IPL 2021 kickstarts with a cracker. Can Mumbai break their opening game jinx? (Getty Images)
The Indian Premier League (IPL) 2021 will kick-off in Chennai as the two-time defending champions Mumbai Indians will take on Royal Challengers Bangalore on Friday. While Mumbai are notoriously slow starters, Bangalore are known to be quick off the blocks. Either way, with the sides stacked with T20 superstars this match should be a treat for all the cricket fans.
Mumbai Indians Form
Mumbai Indians topped the league stage with nine wins last season that included a 1-1 result with Royal Challengers Bangalore. The first match was won by the Bangalore outfit via Super Over, while Mumbai won the second by five wickets.
In the recent player auction, Mumbai strengthened with the addition of all-rounder James Neesham, while speedster Adam Milne, experienced leg-spinner Piyush Chawla and upcoming South African quick Marco Jansen have been added.
Mumbai Indians News
The team received a COVID-19 scare when one of the staff members tested positive, but as of Wednesday the entire playing team returned negative tests.
Royal Challengers Bangalore Form
Royal Challengers Bangalore finished fourth last season during the regular phase, but crashed out after a six-wicket loss in the eliminator against Sunrisers Hyderabad. The RCB outfit is chasing its first IPL title and will be keen to start well.
Bangalore have added exciting names in the player auction with the hard-hitting Finn Allen and Glenn Maxwell expected to shore their batting resources. Kyle Jamieson has also been added to the roster and presents an exciting choice for captain Kohli.
Royal Challengers Bangalore News
Devdutt Padikkal is expected to miss the game after testing positive, although subsequently returning a negative test and re-joining the bubble. The young Mohammed Azharuddeen and Rajat Patidar should fancy their chances of playing the game.
Mumbai Indians vs Royal Challengers Bangalore Head-to-Head
Mumbai Indians have a 18-10 win-loss record against Royal Challengers Bangalore in IPL matches. They have won eight of the last ten matches against Bangalore, indicating a recent strong hold over this fixture.
Mumbai Indians vs Royal Challengers Bangalore Match Up
Mumbai have an edge on paper and on historical count. Most of the players are fresh from recent match practice, with the likes of Rohit, Pandya brothers, Pollard, Ishan Kishan and Boult having played international cricket. Bangalore will look to their superstars Kohli and ABD although the South African could be rusty on account of no meaningful match practice. It could come down to the battle of big hitting, as the sides look to start with a win.
Mumbai Indians vs Royal Challengers Bangalore Stats
- Mumbai Indians have hit more sixes than Royal Challengers Bangalore in 7 of the last 12 matches between these sides.
- Mumbai Indians have lost their first match of the IPL season for 8 campaigns in a row.
- Mumbai Indians have hit 8.25 sixes per game in IPL 2020 which is the most by any side.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore have won their opening match of an IPL season in 7 of their last 10 campaigns.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore have hit 4.40 sixes per game in IPL 2020, which is the fewest by any side.
Mumbai have traditionally started slow and that gives a huge boost to Bangalore to start their season with a win here. Regardless, the strong Mumbai unit should start with aggressive batting up front and some quality hitting throughout. Backing the Mumbai Indians to score more powerplay runs than Bangalore looks to be a good pick. Same goes with the sixes count as Mumbai have an edge over Bangalore in that market. For those looking at the final result market, back Bangalore to spring a surprise here over traditional slow starters Mumbai.