- Sunday 9
- Monday 10
- Tuesday 11
- Wednesday 12
- Thursday 13
- Friday 14
- Saturday 15
- Sunday 16
- Monday 17
- Tuesday 18
- Wednesday 19
Punjab Kings vs Mumbai Indians Preview: Champions set to extend the Reds' losing run
- Punjab Kings will take on Mumbai Indians in match #17 of IPL 2021 on Friday
- This match will be played at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai
- Punjab Kings have conceded more power play runs to their opponents in their last 8 matches
- Mumbai Indians have hit more 6s than Punjab Kings in 9 of their last 12 matches
- KL Rahul has 4 scores of 71 and above in his last 5 matches against Mumbai Indians
- Jasprit Bumrah has taken at least 2 wickets in 4 of his last 10 matches against Punjab Kings
Can Rohit Sharma address Punjab's batting concerns? (Getty Images)
With the Indian Premier League 2021 campaign running closer than ever, every match promises to be a close affair. That is the same with Punjab Kings and Mumbai Kings separated by just two points after four matches. Their match #17 will be played at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai on Friday.
Punjab have won their first match of the campaign but have followed it up with three successive losses. With only two points to their name, they are stuck to the bottom of the points tally. Mumbai have a 2-2 record to their name with losses in the first and fourth matches.
Punjab Kings Form
Punjab Kings have been inconsistent with their performances with only KL Rahul (161 runs, SR 141.22) excelling with the bat. With only two more players aggregating 100+ runs, batting struggles remain Punjab’s biggest concern.
Worryingly enough, Punjab have been inconsistent with their bowling efforts as well. Only Arshdeep Singh (five wickets, ER 7.50) has been good with the ball, while no other bowler has an ER of under 8.00 runs per over.
Punjab Kings News
Nicholas Pooran and Chris Gayle have struggled to adapt, which puts a question mark on the non-usage of Dawid Malan.
Mumbai Indians Form
Mumbai have been struggling with the bat as well, with the middle-order collapses haunting them in every match. Only Rohit Sharma (138 runs, SR 135.29) and Suryakumar Yadav (121 runs, SR 151.25) have been consistent with the bat for Mumbai.
With the ball, it’s a different story as Rahul Chahar (eight wickets, ER 7.37) has been a star performer. Jasprit Bumrah (four wickets, ER 6.25) has been excellent too and Mumbai haven’t really struggled with the ball so far.
Mumbai Indians News
Mumbai played with only three foreigners in their playing XI in the last game and could continue the same. However, the continued poor show of Mumbai’s middle-order may force a change.
Punjab Kings vs Mumbai Indians Head-to-Head
Punjab Kings and Mumbai Indians have had some close encounters in the past with Mumbai leading 14-12 in win-loss record including sharing last season’s matches.
Last season saw Rohit Sharma’s 70 help Mumbai trump Punjab by 48 runs in the first match. The reverse fixture was a close match with the Kings winning the one-over eliminator as KL Rahul’s 77 was the highlight.
Punjab Kings vs Mumbai Indians Match Up
Both teams have batting issues and will be keen to put them aside. Mumbai have been prone for middle-order collapses which puts strain on Rohit Sharma and Suryakumar Yadav. The Kings have struggled in the same vein with only KL Rahul coming good. With the ball, Mumbai have a slight edge considering the form that each of their bowlers have been exhibiting. Punjab, on the other hand, haven’t had any such fortune with only Arshdeep Singh exhibiting a bit of good form.
Punjab Kings vs Mumbai Indians Stats
- Punjab Kings have conceded more power play runs to their opponents in their last 8 matches.
- KL Rahul has 4 scores of 71 and above in his last 5 matches against Mumbai Indians.
- Mumbai Indians have hit more 6s than Punjab Kings in 9 of the last 12 matches between the sides.
- Mumbai Indians have conceded the most runs for the opening wicket in all 3 of their matches.
- Jasprit Bumrah has taken at least 2 wickets in 4 of his last 10 matches against Punjab Kings.
Mumbai Indians need a win to get back to winning ways, which is pretty much the same for Punjab Kings. Mumbai have been involved in tight matches so far and only their bowling helped them in the two wins so far. Punjab have lost their last three matches in a row and look set to extend that losing run. Rahul remains a good individual pick to score big, while Mumbai remain well placed to come good in the sixes count and power play scores.