- Sunday 9
- Monday 10
- Tuesday 11
- Wednesday 12
- Thursday 13
- Friday 14
- Saturday 15
- Sunday 16
- Monday 17
- Tuesday 18
- Wednesday 19
Rajasthan Royals vs Delhi Capitals Preview: Captains under focus
- Rajasthan Royals will take on Delhi Capitals in match #7 of IPL 2021 on Thursday
- This match will be played at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai
- Rajasthan Royals have lost their last 5 matches against Delhi Capitals
- Delhi Capitals have hit more 6s than Rajasthan Royals in 7 of their last 8 matches
- Shikhar Dhawan has scored 7 scores of 50 and above in his last 12 matches for Delhi Capitals
Shikhar Dhawan's form will be crucial for Delhi Capitals' form against Rajasthan Royals (Getty Images)
Two young and aggressive captains in the Indian Premier League 2020 (IPL) tournament will take the field in Mumbai on Thursday, as Rishabh Pant and Sanju Samson face-off. Rajasthan Royals will play Delhi capitals in this match #7 of IPL 2021 at the Wankhede Stadium.
Rajasthan started with a narrow four-run loss to Punjab Kings in their season opener, while Delhi were victorious over Chennai Super Kings by seven wickets.
Rajasthan Royals Form
Captain Sanju Samson’s masterly 119 off just 63 balls wasn’t enough for the Royals to chase down 222, as they fell short off the last ball. With no other batsman scoring more than 25 though, the Royals batting will be one under the lens.
With the ball, young debutant Chetan Sakariya sparkled with 3/31 impressing at both ends of the innings. Chriss Morris’ 2/41 was the only other bowling performance of note leaving the Royals concede 221/6.
Rajasthan Royals News
Jofra Archer will continue to miss out selection rehabilitating after his finger surgery. Manan Vohra’s place will be under question, while Jos Buttler’s absence from opening slot could be one for the discussion table.
Delhi Capitals Form
Delhi Capitals started with an easy 189-run chase as Prithvi Shaw (72 off 38) and Shikhar Dhawan (85 off 54) smashed the ball out of the park with a 138-run first-wicket partnership. That didn’t leave much for the others to do, coasting to a seven-wicket win.
The bulk of the bowling work was done by Avesh Khan (2/23) and Chris Woakes (2/18) as Delhi kept Chennai Super Kings to a manageable 188/7. Tom Curran and Ravichandran Ashwin went for aplenty, which remains their only worry.
Delhi Capitals News
The South African bowlers Kagiso Rabada and Anrich Nortje could be back in action, while the left-arm spinner Axar Patel may also be back in contention.
Rajasthan Royals vs Delhi Capitals Head-to-Head
The historical record between Rajasthan Royals and Delhi Capitals is tied at 11-11, although the Capitals have won five games in a row.
Last season saw the Capitals defeat the Royals by 46-runs in the first match and by 13-runs in the second. Rabada was the star in the first with 3/35, while Dhawan scored a promising 57 in the second.
Rajasthan Royals vs Delhi Capitals Match Up
The Royals have a huge decision to make on their opening conundrum, as Stokes and Buttler swapped their positions from what they do with England. It will be their top-order batting that will be under scrutiny again, while their spin bowling options remain an Achilles heel. The Capitals have most of their bases covered and once the South African bowlers come back into the side, they will present a bigger threat.
Rajasthan Royals vs Delhi Capitals Stats
- Rajasthan Royals have posted the highest opening partnership of the match in 7 of their last 8 IPL matches.
- Rajasthan Royals lost their last five matches against Delhi Capitals.
- Delhi Capitals have hit more 6s than Rajasthan Royals in 7 of the last 8 matches between these sides, including the last 5.
- Shikhar Dhawan has hit 7 scores of 50 and above in his last 12 innings for Delhi Capitals.
- Either Kagiso Rabada or Anrich Nortje have ended up as Delhi Capitals best bowler in 14 of their 17 matches last season.
Rajasthan Royals will hope that the positive momentum of Sanju Samson’s innings in the first match will cover their deficiencies. They have struggled against Delhi capitals off late losing their last five in a row. The Capitals started brightly with Shaw and Dhawan starting on the front foot. Captain Pant will also look to make it big against a team he fancies, having amassed three 50+ scores in his last four matches against the Royals. Back the Capitals to edge this contest, while Dhawan looks a strong pick to score another fifty.