- Sunday 9
- Monday 10
- Tuesday 11
- Wednesday 12
- Thursday 13
- Friday 14
- Saturday 15
- Sunday 16
- Monday 17
- Tuesday 18
- Wednesday 19
Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Kolkata Knight Riders Preview: Underdogs against superstars
- Sunrisers Hyderabad will take on Kolkata Knight Riders in match #3 of IPL 2021 on Sunday
- This match will be played at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai
- Sunrisers Hyderabad have posted the highest opening partnership of the matche in their last 10 matches against Kolkata Knight Riders
- Sunrisers Hyderabad averaged 50.25 in the powerplays last season, which is the most by any side
- Kolkata Knight Riders have hit the most 6s of the match in 5 of their last 7 matches against Sunrisers Hyderabad
Morgan to be key for Kolkata in this Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Kolkata Knight Riders IPL 2021 match (Getty Images)
The first Sunday of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2021 will see Sunrisers Hyderabad take on Kolkata Knight Riders at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai. This will be match #3 of the season and will be played at the same venue as the first match of the campaign between Mumbai Indians and Royal Challengers Bangalore.
Sunrisers Hyderabad Form
For the last five years in a row, the Sunrisers have reached the playoffs. David Warner returns to the captaincy seat, while Kane Williamson’s role comes under focus.
Mitchell Marsh’s injury has opened the doors for the signing of England opener Jason Roy. The signing of Kedar Jadhav gives them additional all-round option while the Afghan mystery spinner Mujeeb Ur Rahman gives them depth.
Sunrisers Hyderabad News
Roy has joined the squad on Saturday but will not be able to play this game due to quarantine rules.
Kolkata Knight Riders Form
Kolkata Knight Riders finished outside the top-four last season, although finishing on the same points as third and fourth placed teams. Poor starts, frequent team changes, and change of captaincy in the middle of the season were the prime reasons for their poor season.
Gurkeerat Mann has replaced the injured Rinku Singh, while Harbhajan Singh, Shakib Al Hasan, Karun Nair and Ben Cutting have been added to the squad via player auction.
Kolkata Knight Riders News
The entire squad is available for selection.
Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Kolkata Knight Riders Head-to-Head
Kolkata Knight Riders have a 12-7 win-loss record against the Sunrisers Hyderabad. That includes winning the last two matches in IPL 2020.
In the first match, Shubman Gill’s unbeaten 70 helped KKR to a seven-wicket win after restricting Sunrisers to 142/4. The second one was a closer encounter going into the one-over eliminator after the teams were tied up at 163 in the stipulated 20 overs. Lockie Ferguson was the star of the show with 3/15 during the normal play before taking 2/2 in the Super Over.
Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Kolkata Knight Riders Match Up
Sunrisers Hyderabad have always been a strong bowling unit and will continue to be so. Questions remain over the middle-order although Kedar Jadhav is a good acquisition. Kolkata Knight Riders have a well-balanced side but the choice of first team could be a tricky proposition for Eoin Morgan. The players he chooses to leave may well be the deciding factor in their performances.
Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Kolkata Knight Riders Stats
- Sunrisers Hyderabad posted the highest opening partnership of the match in the last ten matches against Kolkata Knight Riders.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad averaged 50.25 in the powerplay last season, which is the most by any side.
- Rashid Khan was Sunrisers Hyderabad’s best bowler in 7 matches in IPL 2020.
- Kolkata Knight Riders have hit the most 6s of the match in 5 of their last 7 matches against Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- Kolkata Knight Riders have won their last 2 matches and 7 of the 10 matches played on a Sunday against Sunrisers Hyderabad.
Sunrisers Hyderabad should fancy their chances of a strong start considering the presence of Kane Williamson at the top. Talisman Rashid Khan should once again be their go-to bowler, although Bhuvneshwar Kumar and T Natarajan have done enough to be leaders of the pack. Kolkata will depend on their star foreign recruits to lead the way. The star power in the Knight Riders camp gives us enough confidence to back them in the most 6s market. Sunrisers look good for another shot at the powerplay honours, while Rashid Khan could be an outside pick to end up as their best bowler.