Caribbean Premier League 2021 Schedule & CPL T20 Dates, Times and Venues25 Aug 2021 Read More
Virat Kohli and Ravichandran Ashwin nominated for ICC Cricketer for the Decade award
- Virat Kohli and Ravichandran Ashwin have been nominated for ICC Cricketer for the Decade award
- Kane Williamson, Steven Smith, Joe Root, Kumar Sangakkara and AB de Villiers also on the shortlist for the Sir Garfield Sobers Award
Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli and teammate Ravichandran Ashwin (Getty Images)
Three of the best cricketers of this generation – Virat Kohli, Kane Williamson, and Steven Smith – are among the seven cricketers nominated for the Sir Garfield Sobers Award for the ICC cricketer for the decade across all formats.
The list also has England’s Test captain Joe Root, Kumar Sangakkara, AB de Villiers, and Ravichandran Ashwin. Interestingly, the Indian off-spinner is the only bowler in that list.
The Indian captain Kohli remains the only men’s player to be nominated for all major awards, including the Test cricketer of the decade, the ODI cricketer of the decade and the T20I cricketer of the decade.
The list for the men’s Test cricketer of the decade also includes England’s colossus seamer James Anderson, the retired Sri Lankan left-arm spinner Rangana Herath, Pakistan’s leg-spinner Yasir Shah, Williamson, and Smith.
India’s World Cup winning captain MS Dhoni, the current Indian vice-captain Rohit Sharma and Sri Lanka’s Lasith Malinga are also nominated for the ODI cricketer award.
The T20I men’s player of the decade list has some interesting names including Afghanistan’s leg-break bowler Rashid Khan, West Indies’ T20 giant – the ‘Universe Boss’ Chris Gayle, South Africa’s Imran Tahir, along with Malinga.
Players for various awards have been picked up based on their performances between January 1 2011 and October 7 2020.
The fans will also have a say in the final winner as for the first time a 10% weightage has been allotted to the fans’ voting, which will be open for public between November 25 and December 16. The remaining 90% will be made up by an expert panel
An ICC release on the same noted: “The nominees for each of the categories have been determined by the Awards Nominations Committee, according to on-field performances and overall achievements for at least five years during the period.”
Additionally, six female players have been nominated for Rachael Heyhoe-Flint award – Suzie Bates (New Zealand), Meg Lanning, Ellyse Perry (both Australia), Mithali Raj (India), Sarah Taylor (England), and Stefanie Taylor (West Indies).
Sports Events Starts in
Axar Patel magicTwo day Test match spins India way25 Feb 2021 Read More
Live CricketHow to watch CSA T20 Challenge Cricket Live Streams25 Feb 2021 Read More
Live CricketHow to watch Regional Super 50 Cricket Live Streams25 Feb 2021 Read More
Can the Kings repeat?PSL 2021 Tournament Preview25 Feb 2021 Read More