- Friday 16
- Saturday 17
- Sunday 18
- Monday 19
- Tuesday 20
- Wednesday 21
- Thursday 22
- Friday 23
- Saturday 24
- Sunday 25
- Monday 26
Sydney Sixers vs Hobart Hurricanes Preview: Magenta bowling versus Purple batting key
- Sydney Sixers will host Hobart Hurricanes in Match #52 of BBL 10
- This match will be played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne
- Hobart Hurricanes have won 5 of the last 6 completed matches against Sydney Sixers
- Josh Philippe has been Sydney Sixers’ best batsman in four of their last eight matches
- Sydney Sixers have won 8 'Bash Boost' points in their 12 matches
Can the Hurricanes continue their good record against the Sixers? (Getty Images)
With just two matches to go for the playoffs, Sydney Sixers and Hobart Hurricanes have a lot to play for in this match #52 of the Big Bash League 2020-21 (BBL10). This match will be played on Sunday at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) in Melbourne.
Sydney Sixers are top of the standings with 32 points from 12 matches that includes eight bonus points. Hobart Hurricanes are sixth with 23 points and only five bonus points.
Sydney Sixers Form
The Sixers have lost to Sydney Thunder in their last match but have won three of their last four. The young Josh Philippe (441 runs, SR 150.00) has been a strong leader with the bat for the Sixers leading their charge.
Bowling will depend on how Steve O’Keefe (14 wickets) and Ben Dwarshuis (14) will push the side with key wickets. Crucially, Carlos Brathwaite (14 wickets) has stepped up with the ball, although his batting is yet to blossom in the campaign.
Sydney Sixers News
With Moises Henriques returning to the side and Ben Dwarshuis fit, the Sixers will be at their full strength.
Hobart Hurricanes Form
The Hurricanes lost to Perth Scorchers by 22 runs, which makes it four losses in their last five matches. This sequence has dragged the Hurricanes down the table and this is something they would be keen to arrest.
Ben McDermott’s batting form (397 runs) will be crucial for their hopes, while Nathan Ellis (17 wickets, ER 7.94) has been brilliant with the ball. D’Arcy Short will be crucial for the side with his all-round abilities (244 runs, seven wickets).
Hobart Hurricanes News
Matthew Wade’s comeback adds steel to the Hurricanes’ line-up while Tim Paine is also available for selection.
Sydney Sixers vs Hobart Hurricanes Head-to-Head
Hobart Hurricanes have a 7-5 win-loss record against Sydney Sixers including five wins in their last six matches. That included a 16-run win in the reverse fixture in Hobart. Colin Ingram and Tim David scored 50s to lift the Hurricanes to 178/8. Daniel Christian and Ben Dwarshuis picked up three-wickets each for the Sixers. Their chase was led by James Vince’s 67, but James Faulkner and Riley Meredith picked up two wickets each to stifle the Sixers.
Sydney Sixers vs Hobart Hurricanes Match Up
Both teams need a win although the Hurricanes need it more considering a loss will make things difficult for them. This match could see a big tussle between the two sides. It could be the Hurricanes’ batting versus the Sixers’ bowling that may decide the outcome.
Sydney Sixers vs Hobart Hurricanes Stats
- Sydney Sixers have won 8 ‘Bash Boost’ points in their 12 matches this campaign.
- Josh Philippe has been Sydney Sixers’ best batsman in four of their last eight matches.
- Five of the last seven completed matches between Sydney Sixers and Hobart Hurricanes were won by the team batting first.
- Hobart Hurricanes have won five of their last six matches against Sydney Sixers.
- Hobart Hurricanes’ D’Arcy Short has three 50+ scores in six matches against Sydney Sixers.
With so much at stake, expect both teams to fight out for the four points on offer. The Hurricanes will fancy their chances of a win considering they have had a recent good run against the Sixers. Keep an eye on the individual market as D’Arcy Short and Josh Philippe loom as key picks.